Monday, December 13, 2010

the economy of december

Right now it's 7:18am. I'm sitting in my office trying to get started studying for my critical theory exam today. Before me are several empty bottles of Vitamin Water, a tupperware of the Thai leftovers I ate for breakfast Friday (wow, I am disgusting), a large Dr. Pepper, and a box of orange sticks.

It's been what I affectionately call "Hell Week" since the day I got back from Thanksgiving, a colorful description of which only the adjective, and not the noun it modifies, is true. This semester's Hell Week will actual span nearly a month. I thought I might illustrate the economy of the month of December for the average student, by which I mean me (I'm pretty average, right?).

INPUT: lots of caffeinated beverages, about 5.4 hours of sleep per night, obscene quantities of Asian take-out, chocolate-covered gummies, and hot showers to shock myself into the world of the waking

OUTPUT: graded written and oral exams, compositions, and homework for French 101; a 10 page paper on how Edgar Poe was an Orientalist; an 8 page postmodernist reading of BYU's Christmas Around the World; a really great bike ride with some of my favorite people; a study of the folklaw governing Mormon profanity and vulgarity; graduate school applications; a couple harp performances; lots of conversations on women, gender roles, sexuality, and relationships especially in LDS culture; moving out and driving the 16 hours back to Kansas; and about 23 other things I could bore you by enumerating.

Mom, please don't be offended if I go into hibernation the second I land on the front porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment